Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Windows Network Grrr...

I've come to be incredibly frustrated with how networks work under Windows (XP) over the past year or so. I'll explain my set up a little first, I have a laptop which runs Ubuntu, I connect to the Internet via another computer (running Windows XP) which connects directly to our cable modem. I thought I'd have issues with this seeing as how I wasn't using Windows, but on my side it has been a breeze (much easier than in Vista on the same laptop).

The thing that irritates me is that every time the driver, firewall etc. is updated, or just at random other times, the computer stops me from connecting. I haven't changed anything on my laptop, I just can't connect to the network. So far we've managed to fix the problem by changing some option somewhere on the XP computer, in some nested dialog box, or whathaveyou after trying various things for around an hour. As I said earlier, it's incredibly frustrating. A thing like that should just work, which it does in Ubuntu, but not in XP (though I haven't tried the other way around). Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment