Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Vegetarian Nachos

Well I cooked dinner tonight, and I made nachos, but vegetarian style (we had no mince). It turned out rather well so I thought I'd make a record of it if anyone else wants to try it out, and so I can make it again (and perhaps improve). I made this without consulting a recipe, and it wasn't really even based on any recipe I make, more just throwing stuff together.

Ingredients

1-ish tbsp olive oil
2 small onions (1 large onion would be similar)
3 cloves of garlic (they were pretty small)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of kidney beans
1 tin of baked beans (I typoed here and wrote ton first time)
3-ish tbsp flour
3-ish tsp paprika
1-ish tsp chilli powder
1-ish tsp salt
1-ish tsp pepper
1 capsicum

Method:

Dice the onions, garlic and capsicum. Obviously do the garlic much smaller than the other two. Fry onions and garlic in the oil in a large pan, until the onions go to the kinda see-through cooked-ish state. Add tomatoes, drain, then add kidney beans, then add baked beans. Stir to combine relatively evenly. Add flour to thicken a little, then paprika, chilli powder, salt and pepper. I just put as much of these in as I felt was about right, approximately the amount I wrote above. Be careful with the chilli powder if you don't like your food too hot. Stir to combine again. Add capsicum. Stir some more. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to mix it and get it off the bottom every 3-5 minutes otherwise it will stick.

When I did it I only simmered for 10 minutes, and it could've done with a few more minutes, which is why I said 10-15.

Serve with nachos. Top with sour cream and grated cheese if you like.

Feeds 1+ depending on appetite (probably 4-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment