Saturday, May 23, 2009

Crazy Double Chat

As you may, or may not know, I use Emesene in the place of MSN messenger or Windows Live or whatever it's called nowadays as I use Linux, and the MS variant doesn't run on Linux (it may do under WINE, but I wouldn't use it anyway as Emesene meets my needs). While it does strange things from time to time - like not display a line I just typed in the window at my end, but will at their end, something that happened today really took the cake.

I was chatting with a friend of mine today (about out comp sci group project). Then a new conversation was started with her and another member of our group (3 way conversation). I left the previous window open, as you do. Some of us have dinner, and for various other reasons, no chat takes place for a few hours, in which I leave these windows open.

Now, it comes to the point where I want to ask a question, to the second person. So I go to the 3 way conversation and ask if she's still there. As soon as I do this, that conversation changes to a 2 way conversation as if she had gone offline, even though she was still online. Then the first person replies "...? wrong person?" Which I thought was odd as surely she would've realised it was the group conversation.

Then I realise, that the "...? wrong person?" also appeared in the first, 2 way chat, between her and myself. And every line she wrote from then appeared in both conversations, and she was receiving the messages I typed into the boxes on both chats.

The net effect was I had two chat windows talking to her one, her lines went to both of my windows, but my lines in either window went to her one window. Pretty cool huh? Though useless and crazy nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment